Wheezing hen

Brae51

Hatching
Mar 14, 2022
I have a single hen wheezing continuously. She is drinking water, but avoiding food, including meal worms. I have separated her from the flock and she has clean bedding, water and food available. I have Durvet injectable penicillin, but I'm not sure I should give her any or how much. I have it on hand for goats. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to BYC. Is the wheezing on breathing in and out, or with just exhaling? There is something called stridor that causes a loud wheezing sound if a small piece of feed gets stuck in the airway. Usually it goes away in a few hours, but if it is accompanied by sneezing or foamy eye, it may be a respiratory disease. How is the coop ventilation, and is there any dust or mold, or ammonia odor? Penicillin probably would not help much if it is a bacterial respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG.) MG symptoms can be foamy or bubbly eye, swollen eyelid, sneezing, and crackles with breathing. Tylan,Oxytetracycline, and Denagard can treat symptoms of MG, though it is a lifelong chronic disease.

Welcome to BYC. Is the wheezing on breathing in and out, or with just exhaling? There is something called stridor that causes a loud wheezing sound if a small piece of feed gets stuck in the airway. Usually it goes away in a few hours, but if it is accompanied by sneezing or foamy eye, it may be a respiratory disease. How is the coop ventilation, and is there any dust or mold, or ammonia odor? Penicillin probably would not help much if it is a bacterial respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG.) MG symptoms can be foamy or bubbly eye, swollen eyelid, sneezing, and crackles with breathing. Tylan,Oxytetracycline, and Denagard can treat symptoms of MG, though it is a lifelong chronic disease.
In and out wheezing. No crackles, or sneezing. I've had her in a dog kennel all day near me while I work so that I could listen to her. It must be Stridor. I guess I can put her back with the other girls.

Back
Top Bottom