Wheezing or making funny noise? with video

Kait27

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Central Massachusetts
I have four 10 month old buff orps... theyve been perfectly healthy, and i checked them an hour or so and they were fine. Then we just let them out to free range for a little while and noticed one making this noise...it appears to be kind of wheezy, but shes acting perfectly normal... as you can see in the video, more concerned with scratching. Laid an egg today as well. My dad just came in while I'm writing this and said it seems to be somewhat lessening... and it wasn't there an hour ago when I got home from work!
Here's a link to a video...
It almost sounds like a hee-haw...Help!!

She sounds very content but there may just be a bit of a coffee percolator rattle going on in her upper respiratory system. Rather than jump to antibiotics and veterinarians may I suggest that you catch her up and tuck two cloves of raw garlic down her gullet and a chewable vitamin C tablet?

Sounds like a start... i'd like to avoid antibiotics or a vet. Actually seems better now, is it possible for them to get something stuck in their throat? Like she needs to clear it, but obviously can't.

never heard anything like that before, but she seems happy. probably a fluke but keep an eye on her. cute video she is really searching
big_smile.png

I have two hens that wheeze and sneeze whenever they are scratching around in leaves or the mulch pile. I think it may be the dust. It looks like yours was having a good time in the leaves and it may just have been the pollen/dust.

You know, I think you guys have a good point... they've been at those leaves for several weeks now, but it's been getting dry lately, and I suppose there's probably more dust in there. There's also been some sand & dirt tossed in there recently as well. And the fact that it seems to have gone away over night, when she was locked in the coop, seems to agree with that. Good thing it's looking rainy for the next few days! Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom