Wheezing Pullet. Bring in or let out in the sun?

chiks_rule

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 19, 2009
Fredericksburg, VA
I have a Pullet that is gurgling when she breathes. I started giving her yogurt and ACV in her water. If this doesn't work in 2-3 days I will switch to Tylan 200...just don't want to jump the gun on meds right away.

Question- I have the coop in the barn (colder than outside) but it's a beautiful day and I was wondering if she would be better off if I let her go out int he sun?

I'm no expert but when I had a pullet that was wheezing I was told that she was going through congestive heart failure because of backed up food... Meaning that she ate too much!! I separated her... No food, lots of water within 4-6 hours she pooped a lot and had begun to stop wheezing. Once she stopped wheezing, I left her in there for a few more hours and then let her out.. She is perfectly healthy to this day!
smile.png

Just something to try.....

P.S. If you think this is what it might be... There will be a stench coming from her mouth (sniff it). If there is, put some Olive Oil down her throate with an eye dropper and then do what it says above! She will be a better tommorow!

Wait now this could be respitory [sp] also so get her out of the cold and any drafts. If you didn't smell anything from her mouth it's probably not sour crop. keep her away from your other chickens till you know for sure what it is she could be contagious. And yogurt is very good for her.

A few other nutritional/supplemental suggestions for respiratory issues before you medicate:

Keep up the yogurt and OACV. Try giving her some poly-vi-sol baby vitamins daily (the kind without iron) or nutri=drench for poultry. Also, I have read Cod liver oil mixed with a hard boiled egg will help boost their immune systems. Somehow, lack of vitamin A can result in respiratory disorders.

I LOVE a product called VetRX. They make one just for poultry, and my local feed store sells it. It is like Vicks vapor rub for chickens. You can mix a tiny bit of it with a drop of hot water, saturate a q tip with it and press it on their nostrils, around their eyes, and then rub some on your hands and apply under their wings or wherever they lay their heads when they sleep. I always do this after they have gone to roost for the night.

I almost always try everything I can to boost their immune systems and speed healing before I medicate.

Be warned though, lots of the issues that cause respiratory distress are not curable, and will re occur and spread through a flock. Some people choose to cull. I don't, and so when the weather changes and I start to hear a little sneeze or raspy voice I immediatly start going with the immune system boosting approach. So far. so good. I have the medications, and if my girls ever start to show advanced symptoms, I'll use them.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom