Wheezing & Sneezing(or maybe Coughing?)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by serendipityfarm, Feb 2, 2011.

1. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    My Light Brahma, 10 months old was first noticed wheezing a couple weeks ago. Put her on Tetracycline (In water) for a week and no improvement. Actually she continues to get worse, wheezing is same, but coughing is much more frequent. I have tried deworming with fenbendazole (suggestion from vet friend) and have put her back on the Terramycin because I just don't know what else to do!
    She is eating normaly, Layer crumbles and Scratch. Her activity level seems about the same. (She's a Brahma, so not the most athletic, but she does come out of the cage and wander around the barn scratching and such)
    Poop is normal in both amount and consistency.
    She is isolated from other birds in a cage with a heat lamp. Has been since first signs appeared.
    No other birds are having any symptoms. Also, she does not have any nasal discharge, no bubbles in eyes, and nothing visible in her mouth/throat. No bad smell to breath either.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Fungal infection?
    The last time I took a chicken to a vet around here , $200 later I didn't really have anything helpful or useful, so I'd like to either treat her myself or I'm going to put her down & probably have a necropsy (to be sure there's no danger to my other birds). She doesn't APPEAR to be suffering per se, but I can't imagine that she's comfortable that way.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks!
    ~Terry

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you go the necropsy route, which might be smart, I would check into it before you put her down. They may prefer them live; I think often do. There are differences in how they want a dead bird handled, too.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you say she's scratching around in the barn, could she be getting something up into her nostrils that could be causing this problem, since she doesn't have any drainage and is still eating and pooping normal maybe it's something enviromental?[sp]

4. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    Ddawn: I have done that already. One of my afternoon girls a my office works a the necropsy lab at UConn so we have discussed the procedure.

MissLydia: I have thought it may be an allergy to something. Much to my husband's dismay, I think my next step may be to bring her in the house, away from all "bedding" and see if she gets better. Also going to do some research about antihistamines (Benedryl?). Also, I should say she scratches on the brick floor and in the horse stalls, which are pretty clean. There are a couple areas of crushed stone floor, too, but she doesn't reall have access to there.

Thanks for your help.
    ~Terry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by