wheezing wyandotte - please give advice

marina

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
My one year-old Wyandotte has been wheezing since the morning of March 29th. It had rained a lot that night and the wind may have carried some of that rain into the coop.
She stretches her neck out and makes labored breathing sounds when she breathes in and out. I have not noticed her shaking her head as if to get rid of anything in her trachea (i.e. gapeworm).
She allows me to give her water through a dropper, but has not been drinking on her own. She also eats some coconut oil off my finger (has antibiotic and anti-fungal properties).
I have isolated her and am keeping her in the kitchen by the wood stove with some straw bedding. I'm feeding her egg, yogurt, and layer pellets - separately, though she has not eaten any. I have one bowl of water with some garlic in it, and a bowl of water with a bit of molasses in it. But again, she doesn't drink unless I use the eye-dropper.
Her feathers are ruffled, she doesn't move much unless I'm pestering her with an eye dropper. Her energy level has declined from yesterday.
She has not lain a egg since I separated her from the flock. Her poop is normal, though. Her crop seems full, but her weight is down.

None of the other 20 hens show any signs of respiratory problems. The whole flock gets some wormer in the water every once in a while.

There are no vets in the area that will look at a chicken, nor do I trust any to really know what to do. Home-remedy that I've tried so far include: garlic and coconut oil, vix vapo rub with some rosemary oil under the wings and in tiny amounts around her beak.

My boyfriend reminds me to include that the hen likes Desperate House Wives but not Sex in the City.

What can I do for my poor girl? As I have not had any birds with this type of problem before, any and all advice you can offer is much appreciated.

Hate to tell you, but we culled one last night that had some wheezing and sneezing going on. I had her in quarantine for almost 2 weeks, gave her antibiotics and tried Vet-RX, but nothing was helping. I couldn't risk the rest of the flock, so asked DH to take the axe to her last night when he got home from work, then put her body in the burn barrel to ensure no germs would be spread. I know it's hard, but it's something we sometimes have to do as responsible chicken owners.

ETA: This hen was eating and drinking, but was losing weight quickly and suffering, so it was the only right thing to do...

Last edited:
Oh, man. Thanks quiltnchik. That's hard news to hear.
sad.png

I'll give her a few more days to recover as other posts point to that being a possibility.
Do you think it would be unwise to eat a bird with this kind of problem? I imagine plenty of factory birds are riddled with problems and people eat them.
Thanks again for posting a response.

Her comb is red, with no signs of blueing.
Is there an antihistamine that might be appropriate to give her, if the labored breathing is due to swelling in her throat and sinuses? I'm terrified to give her anything made for people because I'm worried I'll get the dose wrong.

Quote:
Get some Vet-RX and put in her nostrils, down her throat and under her wings. We didn't eat the sick bird because, for one, there was no meat on her bones, and for two, we had dosed with Tylan 50.

I wouldn't think Benadryl will do her much good. At least her comb color doesn't indicate any circulatory problems.

Do you have any raw apple cider vinegar? That helps thin mucus and considered an immunity booster.

Last edited:
That's a good idea. I'll add a little apple cider vinegar to her garlic water - YUM! (that's actually what I take when I have a cold).
Thanks Hencackle.

When it comes to respiratory problems, it can be anything...bacterial, viral, or fungal. Making a clear-cut diagnosis is so very hard because many diseases have similar symptoms.

Do keep us posted. Lots of luck.

Last edited:
Thank you Hencackle and Quiltnchick for your advice. UNfortunately, the sweet thing did not make it through the night.
I'll be keeping a close eye on the flock. Any ideas what could cause death in 48 hours? I imagine she could have asphyxiated. So sad.

Back
Top Bottom