Wheezy Chicken

7heaven

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Hey All,

I have a Salmon Faverolle rooster who I noticed doesn't seem to be doing that well today. He sounds stuffed up when he inhales and every time he exhales he makes a sound. It's kind of hard to describe, but it sounds similar to a typical cluck but it's every single time he exhales. Definitely not normal for him. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms than that -- his eyes look fine, his nostrils look clear, he's very alert and moving around, doesn't seem to be coughing/sneezing, etc. I've been reading up here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 but I can't find anything in particular that stands out, mostly because his symptoms match just about everything. For starters I was thinking getting him on antibiotics and separating him is probably a good idea. Any other tips/ideas on what he's got?

Thanks in advance. He's a 1st place winner at the local fair so I'm hoping he makes it through.

If you choose the antibiotics route then I'd treat the whole flock since they are likely to have the same condition but not showing symptoms. Do beware that if it's viral the drugs will not cure the problem, but will fight off secondary infections. I'd also suggest adding vitamin supplements or electrolytes to the whole flocks drinking water as they help give their immune system a boost and thus fight off whatever they are dealing with.

Good luck

Ct

Back
Top Bottom