Wheezy hen. *UPDATE its spreading please help.*

Jferlisi

i dont eat chicken!!!!
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Menifee CA
So one of my hens is really wheezy. She was going from sun bathing to standing in water back to sun bathing and just kept doing that. I separated her and put some vitamins in her water. When i was holding her i noticed she has a really snotty/crusty nose. What else should i be doing? Does anyone know what could have caused this. She is a SS LF and little over a year old.
ETA* she does have labored breathing while laying down. Also she was perfectly fine last night.

Last edited:
Sounds like an upper respiratory infection. First make her a mash of fresh greens (like kale), lots of garlic and olive oil. These all have natural antibiotics that bacteria can't develop a resistance to (except for the greens, they provide beta carotene, a precursor of vitamin A which the body needs to repair mucous membranes). Then get some terramyacin soluble powder and give her that in her water.

Quote:
Ok thank you. I didn't have any olive oil but it did have some left over bruschetta that has olive oil in it so i gave her some. She ate all the greens, and garlic and all but the tomatoes.

ok so she has be separated for over 24 hours and now a few of my other hens are showing signs. One of my brahma's has the crusty nose and has bubbles coming from her left eye and my lakenvelder has the crusty nose. Neither of them have the wheezy cough type thing. What is this? What do i do to treat it?

What beauties!

I saw a product at agway the other day called VetRX it says that it is used for chicken colds. When I posted on here about getting some, I got a positive response, so it may be something to try????

Good Luck!!

do a search of this forum for runny eyes snotty noses coughing wheezing etc. you will find lots of info. whatever it is its contagious and needs to be treated with GOOD antibiotics. tylan 50 injections are what I used.

Quote:
I have done this but alot of the major ones have alot of the same symptoms. Where would one get tylan 50?

Quote:
I have done this but alot of the major ones have alot of the same symptoms. Where would one get tylan 50?

I got mine at Tractor Supply. You have to get the syringes though even if you plan on giving it to them orally since thats really the only way to get it out of the bottle.

Back
Top Bottom