When a hen goes broody what do I do?

Mr MKK FARMS

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
When a hen goes broody am I supposed to get the eggs and put them in the incubator or leave them under the hen or what am I supposed to do?
Thanks
idunno.gif

I'd let the hen set. Much better to have her do all the work - that's what she was made for! Think about it. The temperature and humidity are always just right. You don't have to turn the eggs. She'll take care of the non-developing ones. You won't have to put them in a brooder after they hatch. How much better could it be?
smile.png

OK thanks, but I got the idea that chickens have been bred so much that they no longer have the capability to hatch there on eggs and you have to use an incubator isn't that right?
idunno.gif
jumpy.gif

Sorry if I am completely off cause I haven't hatched before!
Thanks again for the help!
highfive.gif

If your hen is indeed broody, put half a dozen eggs or so under her. Let her sit. If she's not really broody, she'll get off of them. You won't know until you try.

Chickens most certainly can brood their own. It is something natural and they know what to do. Being able to rear its own young is not something that can be bred out of an animal. like stated if she is broody let her sit if not what have you lost? Good luck

Back
Top Bottom