When a hen lays an egg, doesn't she cackle after she has layed it???

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

So it's pretty normal for some hens not to even make a sound after they've layed an egg.

yep.
smile.png

It's funny you brought this up. I was wondering too, because none of my 4 girls sing the egg song. They all just cluck quietly when they are in the nest box laying.

I have 9 hens -- they are all different.

I have Ruby (RIR) who waits to the last minute to go into the nest box--- she makes a huge fuss for an hour -while she wonders around eating, pecking, scratching then makes a mad
dash to the nest box and drops an egg with in two seconds! She jumps out and off without one sound..

I have Bea the BR who announces the arrival of the egg for 10min. after she lays

I have Big Deloris the BO, who sits on the nest for an hour with no noise before or after..

I have Esmeralda, one of the EE, who sings a really soft sound --almost a coo-- before the nest box--but nothing after.

I have Ginger (RIR) that sings the egg song after she lays but she sits in the nest box while she sings..

Then there is The ROO, that can sing what sounds exactly like the "egg song" as long and as loud as any rock band can carry a tone!

Sometimes a whole group of them will sing the egg song when there is only one egg in the box...

Last edited:
I am so glad my rooster is not the only one who sings what sounds like an eggs song! The first time I heard it I dashed out to the chicken kingdom to see if I could spy a hen singing and laying but when I got there and saw it was my boy singing an egg song!
gig.gif

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom