When a rooster is the predator

GotChicken?

Songster
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
The Thumb, MI
I had to put down my 3 1/2 month old FBC Maran rooster yesterday. Starting Monday, he began an continuous, unrelenting campaign to stalk, chase down, and attempt to kill my 3 month old Silkie pair, Squirrel (roo) and Moose(pullet). No deterrent I did (chasing him around, locking him in the pen, etc.) made no difference; the second my back was turned, he'd hunt them down and attack them.

This continued 'til yesterday evening, when I heard Squirrel screaming again and my patience ran out. I went outside to find Squirrel trapped between the coop and the sliding outer door, with the Maran viciously flogging him from behind. I chased the jerk off and got Squirrel out. He was huddling next to my feet, shaking like a leaf. That's when I realized Moose was GONE, nowhere to be seen. So Squirrel and I went looking for her; he literal kept pace with me, calling out to her as we searched the carport shed and the pine tree copse next to it for her, but she was so scared to death she wouldn't come out.

The whole time I was fuming with anger. I have a nice big coop, tons of land of roam - there's no excuse for this rooster to be attacking the flock he's supposed to protect Especially when his targets are two small, extremely docile chooks who are so sweet-tempered they literally babysat most of the chicks I brooded. It also strongly dwelled in my mind that if he would stalk and attack (and probably kill) the other chickens, it wouldn't be long before he started going after my dad and I. And thanks to the gamble of straight run purchases, I have umpteen roos to choose from to take his place, most of which are friendly and sweet-tempered.

So I sharpened the hatchet, fetched the scumbag, and sent him straight to freezer camp.

While this business was going on, my dad came out to help find Moose, but fortunately Squirrel managed to coax her from her hiding place. I was so relieved; I thought she might have wedged herself into a hiding place so tight she had gotten stuck and would get hurt or possibly suffocate.

Today, my father let the chickens out and he said the difference in the chickens behavior was startling. They weren't fighting to get out of the coop, they weren't skittish and jumpy, and the Silkies spent the whole day just singing to each other and any other chicken that passed by. Even the Marans hen that hatched with the roo was friendlier and more relaxed than I've ever seen her.

He must have been terrorizing the whole flock, and I couldn't see it until he was gone. But now he is gone, and I wish I had done it a lot sooner. He just had a mean streak in him that only an axe could temper.

Last edited:
I had a similar situation. I had a big silver mixed roo that wouldn't breed my hens, attacked them constantly and ate all their food.
he.gif

He became buzzard bait!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
glad to hear everyone is ok....he must have bullied the whole flock. sometimes it's hard to see a problem that is right in front of you. but it's good that you stopped the terrorizing before you had casualties. enjoy your dinner...your flock thanks you

Yeah, something was definitely up. My older Silkie hen, who would lay an egg maybe once a week (and it was so soft-shelled it usually just broke open as soon as it hit the ground) has laid two eggs in the last two days (nice hard shells), and was in her chosen "nest" (one of those pop-open cat cubes) again when I went outside a few minutes ago. Also, my Polish bantam hen went broody yesterday as well! It's like a curse was broken around here!

Thank goodness your silkies and flock are okay...he could have really hurt someone. Freezer camp was the best place for him. There are too many good roos out there to put up with a mean one.

Back
Top Bottom