When and how to re home young chicks?

OuelletteFlock

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2020
Hi. We are suspecting that we have quite a few roosters at the moment. 3 of them seem to be bullying our only female constantly. I know we can keep all of the roosters. My neighbor wasn’t thrilled about me wanting to keep even 1, nonetheless 4. These guys are 7 weeks old roughly. When do I start looking for homes and how? Is it very hard to re home roosters? New chicken owner and still learning. Thank you for all advice. Pictures below of the 3 Australorps in question.

Attachments

• BC91ED15-1986-4E69-A5E3-7C23780530DC.jpeg
    BC91ED15-1986-4E69-A5E3-7C23780530DC.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 13
I have never been able to régime roosters. But, are you sure they are roosters? it’s hard to tell at 7 weeks. :) Usually any of my extra roosters cannot be sold unless for 3 dollars or less. At which they’re better off as pot pie. :)

I have never been able to régime roosters. But, are you sure they are roosters? it’s hard to tell at 7 weeks. :) Usually any of my extra roosters cannot be sold unless for 3 dollars or less. At which they’re better off as pot pie. :)

Not looking to sell for money. Free to good home if in fact roosters. We just can’t keep a flock of roosters

They're definitely roosters. I have been able to give roos away free if they're interesting breeds or particularly friendly, but usually we just eat them. Soup or pot pie. If I have 2, I like to wait until they're bigger and then kill the most aggressive one. But I wouldn't keep 4 until they're full grown. Your neighbors (and hens) would kill you.

They're definitely roosters. I have been able to give roos away free if they're interesting breeds or particularly friendly, but usually we just eat them. Soup or pot pie. If I have 2, I like to wait until they're bigger and then kill the most aggressive one. But I wouldn't keep 4 until they're full grown. Your neighbors (and hens) would kill you.
Its very hard to get rid of roosters unless you want them to be eaten.

Back
Top Bottom