When and How?

dirtranchchicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 29, 2014
Hello Arizona Peeps,
As a new cooper, I have two questions:

When: When can I put my chicks out in the coop? It is getting up to 85 degrees and I put them in the run every day and they love it! The low is 58 so I know it is probably too soon right now, but when? I have been bringing them into a box at night with a light. However, they do not cuddle and congregate under the light anymore and do not seem to need heat. I would guess they are about 4 weeks old now with pretty good feathering.

How: How do I get my dogs to accept the chicks in the run. I have a Great Dane and a Chihuahua (I know, right?). Anyway, the Chihuahua acts like a maniac when they are in the run, and the Dane just barks his a.. off! I have introduced them to each other while in the brooder, and the run is super secure so they can't get at them but they can see each other. Will it be better when the chicks are full grown? Will I ever be able to let them out to roam at the same time?

Thanks,
Dirt Ranch Chicks

Hi
welcome-byc.gif
. Congrats on the new chicks. The general rule is 95-90 degs the first week and subtract 5 degs for each week of age. At 4 weeks old they should be at 80 >75 degs. Could you run a heat lamp in to the corner of the coop for nights just so they can sleep under or near it if, they want? You could put them out now. I can't tell from the picture - do you have poultry netting or hardware cloth around the bottom of your run so, chicks can't stick their head out and nothing can grab them? Also It would be a good idea to add a buried apron of hardware cloth on the outside of the run - to make sure nothing can dig under to get them. You could lay it on top of the ground and hold it down with stones or rocks. Your dogs may or may not get used to them. Good luck.

I hope your dogs get bored watching them and learn to protect them. Some dogs do. Mine - I have to watch closely. Forgot to mention - it is a good idea to lock them in the coop each night for protection and so, they learn where to sleep at first. Let them find their way out of the coop in the morning so, they know how to go back inside to put themselves to bed.

Last edited:
I am so sad
sad.png
I lost a barred rock chick today. When I checked the brooder this morning the bigger chicks were standing and walking on her while she suffered. I separated them and tried to give her water and keep her warm, but she died a few hours later. I have 6 older chicks who are mostly feathered, then I had these two rocks that were probably only 3 weeks old. The remaining rock seems to be fine. I have been putting them all out in the run during the day and bringing them in at night. She was fine last night. What could I have done wrong?

Back
Top Bottom