When can chicken with coccidiosis go back with flock?

KatieChickenMama

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2022
Hello. I have 4 backyard chickens. I noticed one had bloody poop this morning and began treating her with amprolium right away. After learning about symptoms of coccidiosis, I believe this is her 3rd day of being sick. She's been quarantined all day and it's only been 6 hours since putting the amprolium in her water,, but there already doesn't seem to be any more blood in her poop. I cleaned the coop and litter and put the amprolium in the flock's water. My question is how long should I keep her separate from the flock? If her poop is not bloody anymore can she go back with the flock? Thanks for any advise and help.

Hello. I have 4 backyard chickens. I noticed one had bloody poop this morning and began treating her with amprolium right away. After learning about symptoms of coccidiosis, I believe this is her 3rd day of being sick. She's been quarantined all day and it's only been 6 hours since putting the amprolium in her water,, but there already doesn't seem to be any more blood in her poop. I cleaned the coop and litter and put the amprolium in the flock's water. My question is how long should I keep her separate from the flock? If her poop is not bloody anymore can she go back with the flock? Thanks for any advise and help.
Welcome To BYC

How old is she?
Where are you located in the world?
I wouldn't have quarantined her, I would have treated the whole flock for Coccidiosis if you feel this is the cause of blood in the poop.

Amprolium (Corid) is given for 5-7 days as the sole source of drinking water.
Liquid Corid dose is 2 tsp and Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallong of water.

If she has any more poops with blood, can you post some photos?

I think 6 hours and changing your mind, you could put him back. Usually a flock of 4 you would treat the entire flock together. If i were you i would put her back if she is no longer showing illness, and if any of them show the symptoms again then treat them together.

But I have a flock of about 35 and treat maybe three at a time since they are just young peeps that show illness signs. I sometimes release them early after 24 hours, 48 hours, or 72 hours. But I treat with sulfa, not amprolium.

Welcome To BYC

How old is she?
Where are you located in the world?
I wouldn't have quarantined her, I would have treated the whole flock for Coccidiosis if you feel this is the cause of blood in the poop.

Amprolium (Corid) is given for 5-7 days as the sole source of drinking water.
Liquid Corid dose is 2 tsp and Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallong of water.

If she has any more poops with blood, can you post some photos?
Thanks for responding. I'm located in SE Idaho. We have very cold winters. She is an ISA Brown(?) Sexlink and is about 4 months old. I treated all 4 pullets at the same time today. After your reply I put the sick one back in the coop with the others. She did have a couple more bloody poops, but they are the first ones since this morning so ....maybe that's good? Pics attached.
20220123_214829.jpg
20220123_214821.jpg
20220123_214829.jpg
20220123_214821.jpg

Attachments

• 20220123_214821.jpg
    20220123_214821.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220123_214811.jpg
    20220123_214811.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220123_214802.jpg
    20220123_214802.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 2
I think 6 hours and changing your mind, you could put him back. Usually a flock of 4 you would treat the entire flock together. If i were you i would put her back if she is no longer showing illness, and if any of them show the symptoms again then treat them together.

But I have a flock of about 35 and treat maybe three at a time since they are just young peeps that show illness signs. I sometimes release them early after 24 hours, 48 hours, or 72 hours. But I treat with sulfa, not amprolium.
Ok good to know. Thanks for responding. I put her back with the other 3 and will check on her in the morning. I did put the amprolium in the water for all the pullets and will continue to do so for the 5 days (and then longer at a smaller dose), so hopefully that will take care of the problem. Thanks again!

Ok good to know. Thanks for responding. I put her back with the other 3 and will check on her in the morning. I did put the amprolium in the water for all the pullets and will continue to do so for the 5 days (and then longer at a smaller dose), so hopefully that will take care of the problem. Thanks again!
It might be in your best interest to go ahead and order a sulfa drug and have it on stand by. There are two types of coccidia that may not respond to Corid and both cause blood in feces.

Back
Top Bottom