When can chicks regulate their temperature and is that when they can move outside?

Depends on where you live, what the temperature is, how many chicks you have, if they are standards or bantys, and how old the chicks are.

Most people put their chicks outside at 4-8 weeks old.

If the temperature during the day is 60-70F I'd put them outside at 4 weeks old with a heater. If it's 70F+ during the day they can go out at 4 weeks without a heater.

At night if it is in the 50-60F and your chicks are 4-6 weeks old they need a heater. If they are 8 or beyond they can do without. If it is getting 40-50F then I'd give them a heater at night until they are 7-8 weeks old.

I normally put my chicks outside at 3-4 weeks old if the weather is good. Here is gets 80-90F during the day and 60s at night. I put a heater in at night incase they need it and remove the heater entirely when they are 5-8 weeks old.

This is just a general guide as the factors stated first also contribute to when they can go outside.

I brood outdoors from the start with an appropriate heat source in the outdoor brooder.

I take them off heat when they're well-feathered and don't seem to need it anymore -- which, with the breeds I have and the weather I've brooded in, has been between 4-6 weeks.
I’ve been doing this for 8 years, without a single loss or injury! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom