When can I bring chicks outside to explore?

ashlynne87

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
I have 8 chicks of differing breeds that are about 3-3.5 weeks old (brought from TSC on 05/17 the day they arrived so not 100% sure on age). When can I start bringing them outside in a covered pen to explore? They would not be left unattended and it’s fairly predator proof. We are located in SC where the daytime temps are currently averaging 80°-85°. Thanks y’all!

In principle they should be fine: mine are out from hatch, though they have a broody to warm under as required. If you make sure the pen has some shade as well as some direct sun, the chicks would be able to move between them to adjust their comfort.

At those temperatures you could have had them out there for extended periods of time two weeks ago. Since you plan to stay with them go ahead and try. Don't wait for them to tell you they are cold before you bring them back in, you might be out there all day.

In principle they should be fine: mine are out from hatch, though they have a broody to warm under as required. If you make sure the pen has some shade as well as some direct sun, the chicks would be able to move between them to adjust their comfort.
x2. At those temps I'd want to make sure they can get relief from heat with some deep shaded areas. You should not have issues needing to keep them warm.

Do expect them to flop over in the sun (they're not dead or dying) as chicks really love sunbathing the first time they get the opportunity.

x2. At those temps I'd want to make sure they can get relief from heat with some deep shaded areas. You should not have issues needing to keep them warm.

Do expect them to flop over in the sun (they're not dead or dying) as chicks really love sunbathing the first time they get the opportunity.
I was absolutely terrified the first time I brought my chicks out and they did this and immediately took them back inside 😂

I took my new chicks out for 10-15 min after they were 4-5 days old after they know what food looks like. Warm days, sun, no strong winds. They picked at sand, one chased down and ate its first micro-bug (that was super cute).
They are now 8 and 11 days old and oh so eager to go for their walks. I actually think being outside for several short periods of time promotes feathering.

Attachments

• IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg
    644.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom