When Can I Expect Eggs and From Who?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by billfields, Aug 24, 2011.

1. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    My pullets are 16 weeks. I have a total 17, of several breeds, 4 Wyndotts, (Gold Lace, Silver Lace, Blue Lace Red and Columbian) 2 Americanas, 2 Welsummers a Dominique, a Golden Campine, a Blue Andalusian, a Golden Comet, a Sicilian Buttercup, a Partridge Rock, a Golden lakenvelder a Buff Orpington and a Cuckoo Maran. Thoughts about when to expect them to start to lay and which to watch first? I've read about the red combs---going by how red, the Dominique and the Buttercup are leading but I could be wrong. I have nest egg gourds in all the nests and they have been in there But I have no real idea how to tell when eggs are about to happen [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Mine are 23 weeks and we are still waiting....I think the heat may have "altered" their schedules...or they are just messing with me [​IMG]

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    20 to 24 weeks but heat does slow them down my SLW was the last to begin to lay so you may be waiting awhile for those hens, but if you walk up and go to pick up a hen and she squats down that usually means she will lay soon, that is a hens way of excepting a roo so if they do that they may have reached sexual maturity or they will soon

4. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Thanks all---I guess I'm just impatient. My rooster who's' the same age has been crowing for a month. I figure if he can do his job they should do theirs! [​IMG]

5. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    My Cuckoo Marans started laying a little over 19 weeks....good luck!!! It is worth the wait!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by