When can I expect our first eggs from these breeds...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wordgirl, Jun 19, 2009.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Buff Orpingtons

Australorps

Gold Sex-Links

Black Sex-Links

Plymouth Rocks

When did your girls start laying?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    I think all those breeds, with the exception of the Plymouth rocks, start laying early. Every bird is an individual, but mine recently started laying at 17.5 weeks, and now I believe 7 or 8 of 9 are laying at 20 weeks (EEs). You typically won't see them start before 16 weeks, and 26 weeks is considered average.

3. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

I've always heard that 4-6 months is the norm. Last year, I bought six pullets from a local feed store. I got them on July 25 and they were a few days old. They started laying the middle of October. They were only 12 weeks old. I bought some chicks in May of last year and they were laying the first week of August, which would have made them 12 weeks old. Do they start laying at a younger age in warmer weather?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Your sex links will start laying at week 20... the others will follow shortly thereafter.

5. Buff Orpingtons usually start at 20 to 22 weeks.

Red sex-link like golden comets I have heard some say 15 weeks but I am looking for around 20 weeks as well.

6. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:Wait – 'Gold Links' are actually Red Sex-Links?

7. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:Your chickens started laying at TWELVE WEEKS OLD??? That would mean our girls would be starting in less than ten days! What breed are they?

8. kittyariel

kittyariel In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    taft TN
    My sex links are 14 wks and no eggs , when should I start putting hay in the nesting box???

9. stpaulchick

stpaulchick Hatching

Jul 11, 2009
    St. Paul, MN
    ive just always kept hay in the nesting boxes

10. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Songster

My Barred Plymouth Rock was 20 weeks and 5 days when she started laying. She hatched Feb. 11th.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: