When can I introduce new chicks in with bigger chicks?

happytexasmom

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
I have 4 week old chicks and am expecting a new batch next week to raise. Any ideas on when I can introduce the new babies to the older ones? I was thinking 4 weeks or so? Am I wrong? Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
Click in View My BYC Page under my name - that method has worked for us numerous times.

I have been told to wait until they are all the same size. That way, all can defend themselves properly while they work out the new pecking order. I have chicks that are about 3-4 weeks apart and I am still waiting (youngest ones are approx 6 weeks, older ones 10-14 weeks) because there is still too much of a size difference in mine.

how would you do this if say you were taking care of a chick for your neighbor who's chicks are about 3 1/2-4 weeks older? its just one chick that will be introduced and we live 2 doors down... is there a good way to do it? like perhaps have her visit during the day and then stay at my house at night until they accept her? or what?

I'll tell you what I've done. I don't know if it was the best way, but nobody is bleeding or dead and they were 4 weeks old.

We have three ages: 14 weeks, 10 weeks, and 5 weeks. They are all living together now, but the 5 week olds aren't really integrated yet.

With the older two groups, I basically just added them without any prepping to get them used to each other. They were both new to me and the now-10 week-olds outnumbered the now-14 week olds so there was not a lot of violence.

When I sent the babies to live outside last weekend (at 4 weeks), first I had them in a dog kennel for a few hours a day outside so the older ones saw them then. The older ones also saw them when I let them explore in the yard for about an hour a day. That was under supervision and there were a few times I had to step in as mother hen to protect them.

Then when I finally moved them outside to live over the weekend, I placed a cardboard box in the run with holes big enough for the babies, but not big enough for the older ones so the babies could run for safety if necessary. The first few days, the birds were free ranging a lot so the babies could pretty much stay clear of the bigger ones if the bigger ones were trying to peck them.

I figured that that is how it works in nature and nature isn't wrong. Just make sure the smaller ones have a safe place to hide for a while until the older ones get used to them.

Last edited:
Quote:
it might be ok. how old is the other chick?

she has 14 chicks and she will be adding the one that I am raising for her. her chicks are about 7 weeks old and the new one is currently 3 weeks. we were going to wait till the little one is fully feathered first...

Quote:
it might be ok. how old is the other chick?

she has 14 chicks and she will be adding the one that I am raising for her. her chicks are about 7 weeks old and the new one is currently 3 weeks. we were going to wait till the little one is fully feathered first...

that could be a good idea :] you can never be too careful

Back
Top Bottom