When can I put chicks outside in extreme Arizona heat?

marcit

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
Hi everyone,

We currently have 8 hens in an outside run. We also have 4 chicks (1 month old) living in our bathroom. We are desperate to put the chicks into their coop (a separate 3x3 hutch) outside and reclaim our bathroom! But it's consistently 105 degrees outside, and I'm worried about stressing them too much, too soon. Any feedback regarding how old chicks need to be to handle the same temperature stresses that adult chickens can manage? We are not prepared to be putting ice packs, etc, into the chick's coop on a daily basis as we go away often and need more flexibility than this affords... Thank you for any advice you have to offer!

Marci

I would put them out and get my bathroom back, but that's me. Just make sure they've got plenty of water and a shady place to cool off. Shallow pans with water for them to wade in would help them out as well.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the replies! Shallow pans of water for wading is an excellent idea, and I can handle putting ice into their drinking water. It would be lovely to have the bathroom back:)

I'm new here and also new to the chickens. I have a lot of friends that have had chickens and so I got me a few a couple of weeks ago. 16 of them. They were a good deal and I couldn't say no! They are about 5 plus weeks old now.
Anyways I live in Arizona, just outside Phoenix, and it's been 100 plus degrees lately. I was worried about them being out in the heat. They are in a coop with shade and lots of water. They seem to hang around the large tub of water. But so far they have been fine. They are sometimes on there own for days as I go away a lot. They really love the frozen fruit cups I give them once in awhile.
when they see me they start running around like crazy. But overall I think they are fine!

I have five out in their coop during the day. They have a screen covering the coop, tubs of water and a fan going. They are definitely hot, but doing ok. I also have one of those personal misters if need be.

I really appreciate the replies from Arizona! Our chicks are nearly 5 weeks old now, and the temps are going to drop to the low 100's. So they are getting the boot from the bathroom:) I put shade cloth over their little coop, which is in the dappled shade of a mesquite tree. They will get a shallow pan of water to wade in, and I love the idea of occasional frozen fruit cups!

Back
Top Bottom