When can I put young quail in the same cage as adults

yellowchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
C, Arkansas
I have some 4 week olds and need to know when I can put them in with the adults. The adults are in a 7.5 cubic foot cage and I would like to have 10 birds in this cage. Can I have 2 males and 8 females without any problems? They are brown Cortinex with one female A&M.

I would imagine four weeks old would be fine? I don't remember the exact date I put my younger quail with my older, but the younder were mostly feathered out and at least half the size of the older, I think.

If the older ones are already in there you'll need to remove them for a few days to a week, then put everyone back in the cage, including the young ones.

I would also wait until the younger ones are either laying or almost laying, or there could be problems.

8 females to 2 males is fine in that size cage, I had 10 females and 2 males in a cage the same size.

ETA: If the older ones are already breeding age, then I would wait till the young ones are too. If none of them are breeding age yet you should be able to.

Last edited:
Quote:
DONT DO IT! NOT AT 4 WKS OLD. I DONT KNOW WHAT SPECES OF QUAIL, BUT IT DOESNT MATTER--- DONT PUT THEM IN UNTIL FULL SIZED AND THEN THEY NEED TO BE INTRODUCED--- IN A SMALLER CAGE INSIDE YOUR PEN WHERE THE OLDER ONES CANT ATTCK THEM

Quote:
DONT DO IT! NOT AT 4 WKS OLD. I DONT KNOW WHAT SPECES OF QUAIL, BUT IT DOESNT MATTER--- DONT PUT THEM IN UNTIL FULL SIZED AND THEN THEY NEED TO BE INTRODUCED--- IN A SMALLER CAGE INSIDE YOUR PEN WHERE THE OLDER ONES CANT ATTCK THEM

I am with Jeff here

Quote:

I am with Jeff here

Jeff?? I thought it was JIm!
gig.gif

ETA: If they are coturnix, you can put all of them into a new cage together at the same time and they won't fight. But wait until they are of breeding age.

Last edited:
My 3 adults are breeding and lying eggs. My young ones are in a cage directly in front of the adults cage about 3 feet away so they have seen them for 3 weeks now. They are brown cornitex (or however you spell it)
smile.png

Yea I have 4 different cages and if I'm adding some, I just move them all to a different cage... musical cages... then they dont notice the new ones so much...

I dont usually add them til they are 6-7 weeks for coturnix though..

Nancy

Quote:
Do you mean square feet? A 2'lx2'wx2 ft high cage is 8 cubic feet but is only 4 square feet which is to small for 10 birds. You will have problems in a cage this crowded if you have more than one roo in there. I would have a cage about twice that size for them

Back
Top Bottom