When can I rehome a duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by askjcm2005, Mar 17, 2011.

1. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    I have a pekin duckling that just hatched this morning. I have the parents and their first hatchling that I am keeping but I cant afford to keep anymore with how much these suckers can eat. (my husband is starting to frown upon the fact we spend more $ on animals ford then our own food) So I am going to have to find a home for the duckling that hatched overnight and any future hatching which shouldn’t be too hard. My only worry is I don’t want someone who plans on eating it (since it is a heavier duck people would commonly eat)

My main question is when is a good time to rehome them? Of course I will be making sure its not going to a home that wants to “try out” ducks for there kids or something I will want an experienced home. Is the day they are born too soon to a good experienced home? I don’t want to get attached to it, which I WILL!!! I don’t want to wait too many days o its harder for them to socialize it… Any advice?

2. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    You can sell it the day it's born, as long as it has a similarly aged friend to go along with it.
    That's what brooders and heat lamps are for. [​IMG]

3. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Hmm. Okay so maybe I should wait a day or 2 to see if another 1 hatches before I find it a new home. Thank you!!

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    No problem! [​IMG]
    Hope you find a good home! I know how hard that can be sometimes.

5. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

i have so,eeggs do u need a permit to sell or give away free duck eggs in a neighborhood? im only 12

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by