When can I start feeding chicks treats like seeds, meal worms, etc.?

My chicks are brooding in the outdoor run and started stalking tiny sugar ants within half an hour of getting there. A little later they ganged up on a spider.

So I gave them some sand to make sure they could digest the bugs they were hunting.

Nice!
I tried mealworms and they loved it!
I haven't seen them go after spiders but they're finding a ton of pincher bugs :D

Hi, I️ have a single chick due to the others not making it. I had her out running around for a bit and she caught a mealworm. She’s 2-3 days old so I️ was wondering if it would hurt her or not.

I️ was also wondering treats/toys I️ could give her to entertain her until I️ get her some siblings.

Thank you!

Hi, I️ have a single chick due to the others not making it. I had her out running around for a bit and she caught a mealworm. She’s 2-3 days old so I️ was wondering if it would hurt her or not.

I️ was also wondering treats/toys I️ could give her to entertain her until I️ get her some siblings.

Thank you!

Make sure she has chick-sized grit and she'll be fine with her first bug.

No. Chick starter is food.

Chick grit is tiny pieces of granite. Chickens use grit in their gizzards to grind up their food.
I️ picked up grit but the chick won’t eat it. Her crop is definitely impacted and has only got larger as the day goes on. I️ really need help ASAP please I️ don’t want to lose her to a crop impaction.

Thank you!
You can put a mirror in the brooder with her to help ensure that she bonds to chickens and not to you. A little stuffed chicken or something similar will also help, giving her a "snuggle buddy." Chickens are flock animals, it's not healthy for them to be alone. Good luck! Oh, snd her crop should feel full during the day. Feel it first thing in the morning before she has access to food or water. It should feel flat. If not, then you can worry. Might be best then to start a new thread. This one is several years old.

You can put a mirror in the brooder with her to help ensure that she bonds to chickens and not to you. A little stuffed chicken or something similar will also help, giving her a "snuggle buddy." Chickens are flock animals, it's not healthy for them to be alone. Good luck! Oh, snd her crop should feel full during the day. Feel it first thing in the morning before she has access to food or water. It should feel flat. If not, then you can worry. Might be best then to start a new thread. This one is several years old.
She has also been eating pine shavings so I’m really worried that’s impacting her crop. I’ll wait until tomorrow to see, then I’ll start a new thread if needed.

Nutrena chick starter. I️ have had her on pine mini flakes since day 1 as I’m not extremely experienced.😕 I️ have seen her peck at it but I️ didn’t even think about it. My family member also fed her an unknown number of tiny mealworms that I️ use for toads. I’m going to put down paper towels tomorrow for the chicks. I️ really hope she’s okay.

Back
Top Bottom