1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can I start feeding my chicks regular feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wyattm101215, Apr 17, 2016.

1. wyattm101215

wyattm101215 New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    I have fourteen 8 week chicks and was wondering when would be a good time to start feeding them regular feed. Any ideas?

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I am guessing you are currently feeding chick feed? If you are referring to when you an switch over to "Layer feed", you will want to wait till they are laying (usually around 5-6 months) as it contains calcium. Calcium is needed for layers but too much prior to laying isnt good for them.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    This is a question where you ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers. I have always started my pullets on layer about 16-20 weeks or 4-5- months just before laying so they have the calcium in there system when the lay for good solid hard shell eggs and have never had a problem in 10 plus years of having chickens.

4. tenman78

tenman78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    Winabago County,IL
    Well what I'm gonna do is provide the whole coop (new pulleys and my older ones) a meat bird feed and give oyster shell on the side so my layers get their calcium and the non layers dont.Agree 100% choco!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by