When can I start giving the chicks an occassional treat?

donnap1967

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Northern NJ
This is my first time raising chicks. They are currently almost 2 weeks old. Right now I am giving them just their chick feed.

At what age can you start to introduce treats into a chicks diet?

I'm not really sure, but mine that are 1-2 weeks old LOVE mealworms, and my afternoon entertainment is to feed them a few and watch the chasing and tug-of-war that ensues. Beats TV anytime.

Last edited:
Mine are 2 weeks old yersterday. And i gave them 2 chopped up boiled eggs.... and boy oh boy did they have a field day with them so yersterday I gave them a little bit of sand and they tore it up!!!! I have 18 babies
D.gif

I planted wheat in a planter box and when it was an inch or two trimmed it and gave the trimmings to my 2-week olds and they loved it. After another week I cut the wheat sod and gave them the sod piece and they loved scratching in the dirt to get to the seed part. Now they are 5+ weeks and are crazy about the Lacinato kale leaves I give them. I am careful to make it a treat and not feed too much of it. Didtto for Swiss chard: they love it!

Mine are 5 days old & I put wheat heads in a pile they are green with a few small leaves . they love to pick & play with it I think it is just something to to get them off the roost & play
smile.png

Mine are 7 weeks old. I bought some oatmeal off the clearance bin at our local grocery store for 50 cents, yes a huge tub of oatmeal for 50 cents! I mixed the oatmeal in with their feed, and man did I have a feeding frenzy! They went after that oatmeal like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom