When Can I Start Putting Training Eggs in the Nest Boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CalBickieMomma, Sep 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Songster

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! My laying hen who is in with them likes the two middle boxes, so maybe I’ll try putting the ceramic eggs in the two end boxes and see what happens ;).

2. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    When Can I Start Putting Training Eggs in the Nest Boxes?
    When ever you like. They're not going to go off and you won't find chicks hanging out of them one morning.;)

3. sealer39

sealer39 Crowing

Aug 3, 2013
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Fake eggs will also alert you to a predator in your coop. Chickens won’t eat a ceramic egg or a golf ball but a snake will.

4. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Crossing the Road

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I would go ahead and put them in the nest boxes any time now. :)

CalBickieMomma and sealer39 like this.
  5. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Songster

Ha ha! If I did find chicks hatching out of them one morning, THAT would be a story! :gig

6. Chickens4Life101

Chickens4Life101 Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Now is a good time to start! Especially since they are investigating the boxes. Just make sure that they don't start pooping in there!

CalBickieMomma and chrissynemetz like this.
  7. Marieaa70

Marieaa70 Chirping

Apr 6, 2017
    B C Canada
    Put them in now will not do any harm, and they may go in and check them out and sit awhile,

CalBickieMomma likes this.
  8. RavalliSurfer

RavalliSurfer In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2019
    I put 4 of them in the "maternity ward" when they were first moved into the coop from the inside boxes in the house.

I think that if they see them and peck them often enough and find they aren't food or breakable, it implants an image in their tiny brains that it is counterproductive to even mess with them.

I find that when there are eggs with no shell - which can happen early-on in egg laying by young birds - that I don't think this is a problem if these get eaten.

We only had three no-shell eggs and our birds are doing just fine now. I think it's the hardshell impermeability of the fake eggs being a non-food package that trains them to just don't bother.

I don't think you can start too soon.

aart and CalBickieMomma like this.
  9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have golf balls in my nest boxes and for the most part they will lay in the nest boxes. I have on occasion found an egg on the coop floor or out in the pen but most will lay in the nest boxes. IMG_2832.JPG

CalBickieMomma likes this.
  10. Lizzy733

Lizzy733 Songster

Nov 13, 2018
    New Zealand
    Does you barred rock go broody? Extra eggs might make her a bit clucky...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: