When Can I Start Putting Training Eggs in the Nest Boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CalBickieMomma, Sep 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I have 4 nests and have had up to 18 layers...worked fine, not that there weren't some squabbles at times.
    New layers may lay anywhere at first.
    Curtains are for the keepers more than the chickens. ;)

2. Judy Todd

Judy Todd Chirping

Dec 27, 2017
    I put wooden eggs , not only to show them where to lay, but to solve the problem of all the hens that want to use the same nest even if there is a hen in that one already. This morning two large gals were trying to crowd into one nest box. I have 5 very nice nests, go figure. So the wooden eggs will go in again for a while. Plus my new ones, just at POL are using the floor, so it is egg hunt every morning. Where are their brains, oh that's right, tiny brain.

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  3. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    I mainly use my eggs now to just help solve disputes.

4. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Songster

Oh, the curtains are DEFINITELY all about an excuse to sew up some cute patterns :love. When I had my first flock about six years ago (first cooped flock since I had all my free range pets as a kid), I had no problems with the girls laying in the boxes (don't think I had any eggs on the ground). I think I used golf balls then, and couldn't remember when I first put them in there, so that's why I started this thread to begin with :wee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: