When Can I Start Putting Training Eggs in the Nest Boxes?

I always read it was good to have one box for every 3-4 hens. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on them once they actually start laying to see if anyone picks someplace on the ground instead of the nice, curtained boxes. ;)
I have 4 nests and have had up to 18 layers...worked fine, not that there weren't some squabbles at times.
New layers may lay anywhere at first.
Curtains are for the keepers more than the chickens. ;)

They come in useful when they are bickering about all wanting the same nest box. I move the ceramic eggs into another nest and usually they will use that one if the one they want is taken. Helps me deal with the noise.
I put wooden eggs , not only to show them where to lay, but to solve the problem of all the hens that want to use the same nest even if there is a hen in that one already. This morning two large gals were trying to crowd into one nest box. I have 5 very nice nests, go figure. So the wooden eggs will go in again for a while. Plus my new ones, just at POL are using the floor, so it is egg hunt every morning. Where are their brains, oh that's right, tiny brain.

I put wooden eggs , not only to show them where to lay, but to solve the problem of all the hens that want to use the same nest even if there is a hen in that one already. This morning two large gals were trying to crowd into one nest box. I have 5 very nice nests, go figure. So the wooden eggs will go in again for a while. Plus my new ones, just at POL are using the floor, so it is egg hunt every morning. Where are their brains, oh that's right, tiny brain.
I mainly use my eggs now to just help solve disputes.

I have 4 nests and have had up to 18 layers...worked fine, not that there weren't some squabbles at times.
New layers may lay anywhere at first.
Curtains are for the keepers more than the chickens. ;)

Oh, the curtains are DEFINITELY all about an excuse to sew up some cute patterns :love. When I had my first flock about six years ago (first cooped flock since I had all my free range pets as a kid), I had no problems with the girls laying in the boxes (don't think I had any eggs on the ground). I think I used golf balls then, and couldn't remember when I first put them in there, so that's why I started this thread to begin with :wee.

Back
Top Bottom