when can i take my chick off the heating lamp

How old are they ? What are the temps where you are located?

You can raise the light higher to decrease the heat.

Last edited:
iam in hawaii and i have not got them but i know it cost alot becase when tested it seem to use alot of energ and my friend said when she did it it wasted a lot of energ

This doesn't exactly seem like the kind of question that needs an urgent answer. A heat lamp should not use so much energy that it wastes money. Personally I don't know that much about how people in Hawaii live, but do you have a fridge or air conditioner? Those use way more electricity than a heat lamp will.

We used the lamp until 6 weeks with our first chicks. The second batch we got so late in the summer that by 3 weeks it was hotter outside than the heat lamp could produce, so we only used it a little.

we only use "heat lamps" for the first week, because the room that the chickens are in is hot already, its about 80 degrees. That room is only used for incubation & brooders. We switch them over to a regular incandescent light bulb at about a week. They dont use much energy at all.. Regular heat lamps dont really use that much energy either. My computer probably uses more energy than the 4 heat lamps (and incubators & egg turners) combined..

Last edited:
I'm turning my heat lamp off during the day when the temps are in the 80s+ and turning it back on in the evening once the sun is setting. I can tell the chicks are getting cool when they start to huddle together. It would get too hot in there if I left it on during the day, I even have a fan i run to get a breeze. My brooder is an 8X8 shed with only 2 small windows and 2 half doors, so not great ventilation :(

Being that you are in Hawaii I wouldn't imagine you would need a heat lamp very long. Try reading the chick info under the Learning center tab at the top of the page, that should tell you everything you need to know. We run 4 250 watt heat lamps at a time during brooding season and have not noticed a measurable change in our electric bill. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom