When can I take my chicks out to play?

dizzle's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to raising chicks. I currently have 6 chicks. 4 that are 2 weeks old (Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Brown Leghorn) and 2 that are 1 week old (Golden Laced Wyandotte and Light Brahma. I would get more but my city limit only allows six chickens
sad.png
I currently have them in a plastic tote with a heat lamp. My friend and I are building the chicken coop which will be 4x6 with 1 feet extension for the nesting box. when can I start taking them out into the backyard and letting play and get some sun? Also, when can I start introducing them to different kinds of food?

Thanks!

Last edited:
depends on your weather and the local preditors. If it is 90 out, you can take them out now.. if it is 60 I would wait till they are feathered completely. Also what are the preditors? We have neighbor cats and my 6 week olds are not allowed to run loose yet. Last year when we had chicks and no cats around, they were roaming the yard at 3 weeks....

For now I would limit short outings out of the brooded to enclosed places. You might be surprised how fast little chicks can run. You can start introducing very small amounts of soft peeled fruits as treats next week. They may not be sure what to make of these treats at first, but they will eventually find some they like. You can start giving them chick grit from the farm store or bring them some sandy soil to peck around in the next couple of weeks. Once they have the grit in their crops they can start digesting tiny pieces of dandelions or greens like kale and some raw rolled oats.

You can start taking them outside for short outings outside once they reliably come to you for treats. You still might want to enclose the area though.

They can probably be in their coop by 10 weeks.

its around 70 degrees. our backyard is fenced in but I will make a little pen for them to play in.

Quote:

I had a broody hatch a single chick the first week of March. We are in Wisconsin. It was a long winter. Early March was COLD. Momma had her baby out of the coop at about 4 days old. Now I wouldn't recommend being quite as daring as this momma chicken, but if it is warm out and they are under your watchful eye, they can go outside now I would think!

Mine are 2 weeks old and they get about 20 mins out on days when the temp is high 70's or more. I staked out some chicken wire on the grass. They have a great time!

Back
Top Bottom