When can I take polts out of a brooder, and into the yard....

Quote:
If it's not too cold and wet outside. Otherwise wait till eight weeks. Even then don't let them get soaked.
also after 8 weeks are they considered a juvenile bird or still a polt.

I'm not sure where the line is drawn. At eight weeks I'd call them a juvenile, but that's just me.​

Quote:
mommy hen keeps them under her for warmth just like chickens.if you check into survival rates are not great if she hatches 10 chicks she is lucky to have3- 4 live to 8 months old.last year we saw a mother trying to save her chicks from a coyote in our back field i shot the coyote before he found her little ones but she was going crazy

Are thw hatch rates better for a free range domestic heritage turkey? or is it always better to incubate?

How old the poults that you want to let free range? The reason that I ask is because I have been conducting an experiement with my new poults to compare the stats of 2010's poults. Last year, I had a group of poults that were raised by the mama. I kept them in a pen (dirt floor) until they were about 5 weeks old. I let them out and allowed the mama to care for them. In my neck of the woods, I really don't have any predators, so I was ok with letting them out at that age (with mama turkey). They were allowed to free range on about 2 acres of property but they stayed on 1/4 acre. The mama didn't take them out much. They stayed close to the chicken house and food and water. They all turned out to do just fine. I did not lose 1 single poult to any type of predator, weather, etc. This is a pic of them at 2 months old. These are my 2010 poults that the mom raised outside.

6612_some_of_his_babies.jpg

6612_chicken_house_063.jpg

6612_turkeyssell.jpg

This year, I have had to take every poult from it's mom because the mom hatched the eggs in the chicken house and I didn't feel comfortable leaving the poults in the chicken house with the mama. So, the poults were inside in a card board box until they were about 4 weeks old. I decided to put them outside in my open/air raised brooders (with wire floor) at 4 weeks old. Of course, they were not fully feathered. They still had fuzz wuzzy fuzz on them. I knew that they would be ok being outside because our temps were 80 - 90 degrees during the day and 70 - 75 degrees at night - (Louisiana). So, I wasn't scared that they would freeze. I also have the brooders placed in an area where the poults would not get much chill and I would wrap a tarp around their brooder at night just for peace of mind. The poults did just fine outside at 4 weeks old. Last weekend was the first weekend that I put the older group on the ground in a dog kennel. I supervised them because I wanted to see how they would do outside. They were only out there for a couple of hours. It was so hot that they started panting and I had to pick them up and place them back in the brooder. The dog kennel did not have a shade cover. I also let them walk around for a few minutes but the roosters attempted to attack them. All of my animals free range, so every chicken, turkey, duck, goose, sheep, goats, rabbit, (you name it) comes in contact with the other. The reason that they were attacked is because they didn't have a mama turkey with them. Since I have witnessed that, I do not feel comfortable letting them free range right now at 2 months old. I am afraid that a rooster or another turkey will attack them and kill them. So, I guess I say all of that to say the following:

1. If your temps are warm enough for them not to chill or freeze to death, then you may want to try it.
2. If you are certain that they won't get attacked, injured or killed by another chicken or another animal on your property, then you may want to try it.
3. If the temps are not too, too hot and they won't die from a heat stroke, then you may want to try it.

I think that everyone's situation will be different. It all depends upon your region/temps and your set up. If you try putting them out to free range, I would try it on the weekend, so that you can be there to supervise and watch the actions of all of the animals on your property to see how they will react to the "new kids on the block" (your poults).

There are advantages and disadvantages of letting them free range at an early age. The one thing that I noticed was that last year's poults grew much faster and very hardy from free ranging with mom. They were able to eat grass, bugs, practice flying (getting exercise), etc. This year's poults are only eating game bird starter and are off the ground. So these poults are not as nearly as hardy as my group last year.

2011 Poults - 7 - 8 weeks old in this pic from last weekend.
6612_2011_poults.jpg

6612_2011_poults10.jpg

6612_2011_poults1.jpg

6612_2011_poults4.jpg

So, take a look at your situation and do what you think is best.

Do you have any pics of your poults to post so that we can see if they have more fuzz than feathers? What state are you in? How hot or cold is it there? Will they be in an open area to free range? Where can they run to for protection if there is an attack from another animal?

I hope this helps you a little.

Last edited:
Your reply was wonderful and informative. My poults are only a few days old, so in 6 weeks it will be July. Hopefully they will be able to regulate their own temperatures by then. I will most definately keep an eye on them. The first few weeks they will be confined to the run while I let the chickens out to free range. I will clip their wings first, then teach them where the food is and a "safe" place to sleep. After that I will let them free range on the farm with the chickens. Hopefully they will take their cues from the other birds and see about finding bugs and eating grass.

Back
Top Bottom