When can I take the chickies outside?

Icedangel11

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Hellow everyone. I recently got my first chickens and a duckling from a TSC near me. I'm not entirely sure of all the breeds but I believe two are black sexlinks, one lace wyanette (I think that's the name) one RIR and a production white (as far as I can tell. She's just a yellow chick) I have two I'm not entirely sure of and the ducks a Pekin. They are slightly different ages some being a few days old, some being about a week, and the oldest (as least I think) is just getting her tail feathers in. They're all rambunctious and lively. And the ones with feathers on their wings have just discovered them and spend time flapping and jumping up on things. XD

Outside it's about 60 degrees outside and it's getting warmer every day. I was wondering when it'd be okay to let the Chickies outside to play a little bit and give them more room to roam and jump around. Right now they just have a brooder in my room which is at 86 degrees. They are rambunctious, chatty, and very active and I was hoping they could play for maybe ten minutes before coming inside, at least the older ones.

Ok well since its 60 outside you can them out at about 4-6 weeks and they should be fine and try to take them out for the day and bring them in at night for two or three day to get them used to being in the colder weather

Oh, no, I don't want to move them out permanently yet. Just long enough for them to play and jump around without knocking everything in the brooder box down.

60 degrees is still very cold for babies. I'd wait until they have replace all of their down with feathers. Or you could set up an area outside with a light so when they need to warm up they go under it. My brooder is actually outside in a spare coop. When they get bigger, I'll open it up so they can run out and back in when they get chilled.

would it be okay to take out my week old silkies outside tomorrow???
hmm.png
I just don't know...
idunno.gif

I take my chicks outside when it's sunny and there is little to no wind, regardless of age. They do just fine. I don't have a thermometer, so I never know the temp, but as long as I'm not feeling chilled being out there myself, I take them outside.

Back
Top Bottom