When can I???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by philandolivia, Jun 28, 2011.

1. philandolivia

philandolivia Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Co. Durham, UK
    Hi When can I put my duckling's and there mam Back in with the rest of the adult duck's?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Don't know but here's a bump. [​IMG]

3. evansacres

evansacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm not too sure of this either, but will give you what my experience has been so far.... I have a rouen duck with six ducklings. I separated the drake and one of my pekin ducks just the night before the hatch. These two free range all day and are shut out of the run. I have another pekin who is also broody and sitting on eggs, so these two are content with each other and the ducklings. The ducklings are just a week old now and mom has been bringing them outside into the run - the little ones scoot in and out of the pen (they can get through the wires because they are small - and I'm lucky not to have any predators around). All the ducks have seen the ducklings and for the most part give everyone space. Yesterday afternoon mom got enough wind under her wings to clear the 4 foot fence (they only seem to manage this on a windy day [​IMG] [​IMG] so she was out with the little ones. She stayed close to the run and didn't go very far. This morning I let everyone out and mom and ducklings wandered around with everyone. NOW - the drake tumbled a couple of the ducklings when they got too close, he didn't hurt them, but rolled them. They stayed closer to mom. The other duck puts her head down as if to charge them but they seem to take that as a warning and scoot closer to mom. After they headed back to the run, I did close my broody duck and mom rouen and the ducklings in as I was leaving for work and I prefer everyone safe 'til I get home. I think it's a bit early at this point to put them all together - but a little bit of supervised time with lots of room for everyone I think is beneficial. They will need to learn their place if they are to join the flock. Unfortunately, my rouen duck is last in the pecking order so I assume the ducklings will be as well.

4. philandolivia

May 26, 2011
    Co. Durham, UK
    i think I'll let them in with the rest to day but only while I'm there. This should be fun [​IMG]:lau

5. philandolivia

May 26, 2011
    Co. Durham, UK
    i think I'll let them in with the rest to day but only while I'm there. This should be fun [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  6. evansacres

evansacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Enjoy...the little ones are adorable to watch when they get out with mom. Mine are growing fast and zipping around like crazy. Even got the pool set up outside with some stones so they can get in and out!! Four have the in and out of the pool under control the other two not so much [​IMG] Anyway - still keeping an eye on the drake and one of the pekin ducks. They are not too impressed when the ducklings get too close. I supervised the pool time as I didn't want anyone drowning !! All went ok - but I did scoot the drake away when he wanted in the pool with the little ones. No need to tempt fate! It's been hot here the last few days and no one really has the energy to cause too much trouble. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

7. philandolivia

May 26, 2011
    Co. Durham, UK
    ok last Sunday when i was at the alotmant doing some work i let the duckling's out with the rest and then locked them back in there own pen when i left and it went really well so today befor i went to work i had a last min urge to let them out all day with the rest so i did and by god all I've thought about all day at work was i hope my little one's are ok lol. But every thing looks great so I've locked them up with the rest for the night to. And ges what I'm thinking now! Yes up ges rite i really hope there all ok or I'll never forgive my self.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by