When can my chicks have "treats"?

Lil'MommaHen

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
Northwest, WA
Hi
I am new to chicken raising! I have 6 three week old pullets(2 buff orp., 2 RIR, 2 Barred Rock). I have been strictly feeding them chick starter, and I was wondering when I can start incorporating other things into their diet? We bring them outside to play daily and they peck at insects and such and they love it. I have found a list of approved foods on this site, but I haven't found at what age they can start.
jumpy.gif

Our chicks are 3 wks old. They LOVE meal worms, wax worms, hard boiled eggs, oat meal (dry) bits of grass peas and corn on the cob. We have 4 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks. We also sprinkle fine grit over their treats to ensure they digest everything ok. So far they're all doing great...

I have a couple of 2 week olds and I give them bugs that I catch on the porch and a work or two. I do it for entertainment purposes actually. They seem to love it. Since all the rain the worms have came to the top of the soil. Chickens are loving it.

Thank you! We will get some grit and start feeding them other stuff in addition to the starter! Sprinkling the grit on top of stuff is a great idea. It will be fun to watch them eat something new, I feel like they are getting bored with the same old stuff!

I put some playground sand in my chicks brooder at one week old. They're now 2.5 weeks old and tonight I gave them their first treat. A boiled egg that I grated on my grater. It was insane and hilarious to watch! They scarfed that egg in about 7 minutes - 11 chicks! I've never seen so much pushing and shoving! It was so funny.
lol.png
They were all crammed around the little tray that I put the egg on and ever now and again one would fly up out of the center of the chick pile as if it had been booted straight up in the air. Then it would squish it's way back in. I think the grated boiled egg was an excellent first treat and excellent protien. I'll do it again in a few days so as not to over treat them.

My chicks are a 4 weeks and at 1week they had a blended vege soomthy. I have a small restaurant and lots of scapes and goodies. At 4 weeks I put it in there run and in minutes it is all gone . I also feed them chick starter. Birds are getting big but Lost only one rir to wonder dog Dallas. He had to go to the wood shed and have a long talk.
mg]

play ground sand! great idea, I was going to get some anyways for my kids sand box! I think I will hard boil some eggs tonight! can't wait. Raising chickens is so much fun, and my kids are really enjoying to

Thanks for the ideas!!
smile.png
o

Back
Top Bottom