When can my ducklings go for a swim?

Anyhow I’m in southern Louisana and it’s hot and sunny so I’m not worried about them catching any chills but are they ready to swim?
This is what Metzer Farms says about swimming:
"Ducklings and goslings can be introduced to swimming water as early as one week of age but you must be very careful. They must be able to walk in and out of the water very easily. The water should not be too cold and they must be able to find their heat lamp for rewarming without difficulty. As they have no oil on their feathers at this age, they cannot be in the water for long periods or they will become waterlogged and chilled. Do not allow this to happen! But this exposure to water speeds the development of their oil gland and they can probably be swimming freely by five or six weeks of age."
Source: http://www.metzerfarms.com/RearingInstructions.cfm

I only say about warmer water because someone here seid their duckling would take a drink of cool water then convulse and die instantly

Like the cool shocked their bodys
:goodpost:
That's sort of how it happens, though it usually happens when they drink a lot of cool or cold water all at once. This can be avoided by refilling empty waterers with warm water.

I never heard that myth myself?
It is not a myth. Sometimes when ducklings drink a whole bunch of cold water it can cause ataxia, seizures, and death. To keep this from happening I suggest filling waterers with warm water if there is a chance that the ducklings might dring a lot at once.

Domestic Ducklings are no different than wild Ducklings and the Momma takes them to cold water as soon as they leave the nest.
True except that duckings hatched under a duck *are* waterproof, but ducklings hatched in an incubator are *not* waterproof.

Ducklings kept under momma ducks are waterproof because the oil from her feathers transfers to their feathers. This is what allows day old ducklings to swim with their mothers.

It’s hard to remind myself they’d be doing this stuff in the wild!! I’m just so over protective of them haha! But I don’t think I’ll have a problem with cold water in southern Louisiana in my little pond! Haha
Better safe than sorry. Just make sure they don't get waterlogged and chilled and I'm sure they'll be fine. :D

Omg I just got to watch your video! I’m melting!!!:love

And I just read your username... those are my babies names!! Cheese and Quackers! <3
Cute names!

Back
Top Bottom