When can they stay outside?

Carolyn227

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Today is such a lovely day, so I put my month-old chicks outside in an enclosed area for the day. I plan on bringing them in at night for the time being. Anyway, when can they be outside full-time? Our last frost is not until late May or June, and we generally have lots of rain and then also plenty of beautiful days until summer. I no longer have a heat lamp as it broke a few days ago. Do I need to get a new one (if so, what kind should I buy)?

When they are fully feathered around 4-6 weeks they can be out full time. As long as it's warm outside, they can be out, just provide water and a shady spot in case they get hot. I've read on BYC that you decrease the heat 5 degrees every week, so at four weeks they should be at 75 degrees, as long as the coop stays warm you wouldn't need a light, but if it drops below freezing the poor guys could get cold.

I use a cheapy light from TSC. Works great.

Mine have been outside in the coop and run since they were 2 1/2 weeks old. They do have a heat lamp in the coop for a little warmth since its been 20's and 30's at night. All the chicks are now 6 weeks old and healthy as can be.

My stupid boyfriend has our brand new week old chicks(6) outside in the non heated barn with 2 heat lamps. He says they will be just fine. It's gonna be 28 tonight by us. I refuse to get involved with the chicks since he won't listen to a word i say and I'm **** worried the little girls are gonna get sick and die!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom