when can you tell the sex of white crested black polishes?

solarquail

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
when can you tell the sex of white crested black polishes?

i have 4 left that are about 5-8 weeks old...... and i am anxiouse to know the gender of them is it to early to sex them or what?

i can post pictures if maybe yall think yall could sex them at this age?

Post pictures.
wink.png

Can't make any promises, especially because that's still pretty young, but sometimes it can be easy to root out the boys. Age will vary for individuals. Sometimes it can take months and months to find out gender. Sometimes it can up until you hear a crow or find an egg. Pictures, please.
big_smile.png

Yeesh, that's a tuffy. The second is most likely a boy, simply by looking at that wild crest. I don't dwell on the crest for sexing but I can't ignore that those feathers are saying roo. At least to me. The first one also looks a bit rooish. But I'm not sure. Is there any way you can get clearer pictures? More of the face and head shots?

that is the best i could do theyre very jumpy the person i got them from didnt socialize with them so im working on that. i think comparing the size here the first one looks like a hen but what do i know im no expert ill work on some better pictures but i cant guarentee you

Quote:
I totally understand the socializing thing.
hmm.png
That'll take some time. I think you CAN compare size but bare in mind that at this age, they're all very similar and it's when they get to be a few months old that the males get their big growth-spurt. Hens grow gradually. You're the best judge of them all because they're yours and you know them best.

lol yes i guess i could be but i love polishes so much i bought like 7 silver laced polishes one was frizzled silverlace polish and two died and now i have 5 roosters! and cant find any hens around here

edit there is two of the roosters in my advatar there hard to see it was suppose to be some of my photography lol

do you ever have any "bald spots" on your polishes hat where something has plucked a bit of its hat feathers out? is there any other way to stop this other then seperating them?

Last edited:
Lol, I like your avatar. I can tell the breed. It's hard to stop crest pecking, but it's easier to deter it. Hot Pick (but I find it doesn't work for me), Pine Tar, Blu-Kote...any stand a chance of working. It's the reasons why this is happening that you'd need to find first. Is it because the other chickens are stronger, tougher, meaner, can it mean that they are lacking something in their diet? Are they bored? Do they have enough space? Each answer yeilds a different method to stopping it.

Crest pecking seems to be popular in roosters, but also they can be in hens. I've never had any pecking in my flock, though.
idunno.gif
I guess we were just lucky. Here's a thread on the subject. I responded a few times. I write alot when it comes to this topic.
roll.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=224632&p=1

Back
Top Bottom