1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When candling, shell shows speckled?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Parson's Wife, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    When I candled my eggs, though the same on the outside, I found the shell looked speckled, heavily, on 3 of the eggs...I thought I read somewhere this was not a good egg. I can't find it. Anyone? These eggs show an embryo formed (veins, dark spot, etc...)
    I would like any info on this. These are brown eggs.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Usually it means the shell is porous. I've read that the chicks won't hatch, but that's not what I've experienced. I had two of those in my last hatch and the babies came out just fine. [​IMG]

3. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    Thank you. I was worried about them, and I hesitate to throw out viable eggs if they have a chance.

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Gwen, I have porous eggs hatch all the time. If they are growing don't throw them out.

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    That's good to know. My best looking hen lays eggs like that, and I'd like to hatch some eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by