When chicks outgrow their momma...

AZ_HenHouse

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 2, 2011
110764_lucy_and_babies_11nov11.jpg
So nine weeks ago my bantam cochin hatched out 6 eggs that I gave her when she went broody and wouldn't quit. It was our first attempt at such an endeavor so we gave her the only fertile eggs we found at the time which happened to be 5 BR and 1 RIR. Important to note...they were not bantam chicken eggs
lau.gif
Also important to note I did not really put much thought into what I was doing--just wanted to make chicken happy
yippiechickie.gif
Picture above is them about a week after hatch.

This is what happens when they are nine weeks old
gig.gif
very funny to see momma still in control even though they are all bigger than she is. She had to enlist thae aid of her hatchmate (also a bantam) when they got to big for her to keep under her wings. Both of them have done a great job.
110764_20120104100836.jpg

110764_20120104100832.jpg

That is great!!!!
lol.png
Love it, We had a duck that raised geese once. They looked about the same as your chickens. Farm animals are fun, who needs a reality show.
wink.png

I have a few bantams the run in the free range flock. They will hatch any eggs they can! I love when they get bigger than the momma, too cute! Mine also had to enlist the help of a fellow hen to keep them warm on the roost at night
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom