When did your hens begin laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick15, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    We have 12 week olds, 2 RIR hens, 4 Speckled Sussex hens and 5 SLW hens (out of 16 chickies [​IMG] ) And are leaving for vacation to England in August. We will be away almost all August and we have our fingers crossed [​IMG] we will either get our first egg before or after our trip, so I was wondering when you all had your first egg laid so we can tell our chicken sitters to watch out for possible egg laying behavior and check for eggs....

2. MadHatcher

MadHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    My chickens didn't start laying until 24 weeks. However, I'm unsure what it "typical" for a chicken.

Have they started squatting yet?

Have fun on your vacation!

3. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    They have not begun squatting but their faces are starting to turn red, so I thiknk that they are not way offf beginning to lay...

4. Araylee

Araylee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    My buff orpington just started last week at 18.5 weeks, maybe a smidge earlier. I have six other chickens of various breeds but no others are laying. The barred rock and SLW look close. No others are squatting.

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    My production reds (labeled at TSC) are just 15 weeks today. I got my first eggs this week [​IMG] However, I have light brahmas same age and I don't expect them to lay until 24 weeks. Also my EE are 11 weeks, I don't expect them to lay until 20-24 weeks. I think the production girls are early, but not abnormal for the breed. We have 5 production reds, we have gotten 3 different eggs in a two day time period (unsure what I was gifted today, still at work).

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My hens each began laying eggs whey they darned well wanted to.

It ranged from 18 weeks to 35 weeks. The White Leghorns were the earliest, but they are true "layers" and came from Trader Joe's refrigerated fertile eggs, so they're from a line of production layers.

7. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    My chickens didn't start until 4 months, or 18 weeks [​IMG] You've still got a while to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by