When do Bob white quail start laying (Time of year)

Mikedero

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Watertown CT
on the 2/18 I picked up 6 Bob white quail 5 females and one male they are in a 5X8 rasied pen (there is no fighting at all)

Do they lay eggs year round? I was going to give them a month and if no eggs cull the bunch as i have some more in the incubator.

thanks

I meant time of year do they lay?

Either way my wife decided that if I want meat birds the quail gotta go. so they will be processed this weekend. so I can start building my pens for the meat chickens to arrive

mine started laying 3 weeks maybe a month ago it seems to be a combination of the amount of daylight increasing and the temps staying above 55 F

I meant time of year do they lay?

Either way my wife decided that if I want meat birds the quail gotta go. so they will be processed this weekend. so I can start building my pens for the meat chickens to arrive
Bobs are seasonal layers and only lay spring thru fall, generally March thru Sept. Being that you are located in CT, your Bobs will probably not be geared up to lay until April. It is not only the length of daylight, but the outdoor temp as well.

they are in my basement 65 degrees and light is on 15 hours....

I will keep them until my meat chickens arrive then I need to make room

FYI...recently moved poultry will stop laying for up to several weeks after being moved to a new place or home. Takes them a while to adjust.

Also...if they are less than 6 or 7 months old, they are not yet mature enough to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom