When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

I have 3 buff orpingtons. They just turned 18 weeks. We just got back from vacation and found 3 eggs, Not sure which one laid them, or if all 3 are laying. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Just one of them is laying. 5 eggs so far since saturday! so she's a daily layer right now.

I got my very first egg from one of my buff orpingtons today!!! They are 22 weeks old!! I am so excited!!!!

So glad to see this thread. I have 1 BO who is 25wks and hasn't laid yet and I was a lil worried. My boys actually named her Buff cuz she's so big. Her comb is a nice red, so maybe soon.

Old thread, but wanted to see what others thought. The Orpington is supposed to be a dual purpose bird. I have been seeing these "show quality" Orps that are supposed to be bred to standard and some don't begin laying until over a year old, to me, this is ridiculous. I breed Orps and if I have to wait more than 28 weeks for an egg, that hen will not be in my breeding program. It is up to us as breeders to maintain a good balance of their intended purpose and not ruin the breed just so we can grow 15 pound Orps. The standard is 10 pounds for an Orpington cockbird. I do understand that with the advancements in feed and nutricionaI knowledge, we should expect larger birds, but not at the expense of sexual maturity. I would be interested in others opinions.

My girls are 27 weeks, and just started, (really cranking them out, though ;) big difference on the weight of the birds, all the same age, but the bigger ones have to be over six pounds already. Obviously, I'll be breeding the bigger girls, when my roosters are mature, but I'm not going to be trying for huge birds, over the SOP.

Back
Top Bottom