When do Calls start laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cthrash1, Jan 23, 2009.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Mine are breeding right now and I'm not ready yet...Don't have their nest boxes/breeding cages built yet. So was wondering about how much more time I might have? Do they lay in the nest box or do they just find a spot?

ETA: and do they sit on their eggs?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Mine lay in the corner of my coop. Mine do not sit on their eggs but yours may it depends on the duck. I heard they do not lay until spring but I get a straggler egg maybe once a week or so.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine usually don't start laying until the beginning of March. I've never gotten them to use nest boxes. My hens will all set on eggs given the chance.

4. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I wish mine would sit. Hatching them in the incubator is so stressful!!

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I noticed mine were starting to breed now also, but I never get eggs before April, they are just getting warmed up, I guess:lol:

6. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    I've had eggs nearly everyday for 2 weeks now. Mine won't sit though and I was thinking about hatching some. Is it really hard hatching duck eggs? We are building MissPrissy's Incubator this weekend and I was thinking of putting some duck eggs in there.

7. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    It is a headache. On my first hatch I only had one make it out of 9. I found out too late on two of them that their bills are too small to pip and they suffocated in the shell. The others we had to slowly break out over a couple days and only one was strong enough to make it. I have 9 more to hatch in 2 days and 7 in another week.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by