When do chickens lay?

I feed them grain and layer and they run around my backyard; normal house size yard, age not sure since they were given to me, but I think they are between 16 and 20 weeks one is bigger then the other1, do I need to feed them oyster shell? , I found the eggs 2 weeks ago

the highest producing time of the day is between 7:00 am to 11:00 am and you may get one or two in the afternoon. all chickens slow production and even stop producing in the colder months of the year thats if you are in a winter climate but will start right up again in spring.

I feed them grain and layer and they run around my backyard; normal house size yard, age not sure since they were given to me, but I think they are between 16 and 20 weeks one is bigger then the other1, do I need to feed them oyster shell? , I found the eggs 2 weeks ago

Yes feeding oyster shell is a good idea. You can get it at TSC. Do you have the feed/grain so they can eat anytime they want it? That's best IMO.

they will fan their feathers over the nest and will stay there even when feeding other chickens, they will stay there for days or until chicks hatch but if you don't have a rooster shes kinda wasting her time and you might as well collect the eggs from under her. if you do have rooster it will take her depending on the type of chicken 22 to 25 days to hatch the chicks.

I'm so excited!! My Barred Rock Mary gave me her first egg (on the left) 2 days later her second egg (right) her 3rd egg was even bigger, now she's reverted back to 2nd egg size. All in about a week and a half. Two days ago my Buff Orphington Chicken Nugget gave me her first egg...They think they are rock stars with all the singing, and they take all day to do it. Mary is in there for hours when she goes to have her eggs...we'll see who is up next. I have 13 all around the same age. I'm looking forward to seeing the routine they come up with. I just love my funky chickens.

what time of the year is it there, and how old are they. road island reds are sensitive to the seasons when it comes to laying, they can lay anywhere from 1 to 3 eggs a day if the season is starting to get colder there they will slow their producing down and even stop, hens can also blow them selves out where they cant lay anymore but it depends on how old they are. just so you know blowing them selves out means they laid an egg to large for their system and damaged them selves in the process making it impossible to lay anymore.

Yes they run around the yard and eat whenever they feel like, should I feed them the oyster shell once a week, everyday or mixed with their regular food?

thanks for the info Terry4 & Oldtimefarmer,

Hi, I have 2 RIR and about 2 weeks ago now, I found 2 big brown eggs, but that was it haven't find nething else since then, all I find is feathers, is this normal?
I think that's just the way of a chicken.... I have 16 hens that are just at laying age.. I got 1 egg 2 weeks ago and another 2 two days later.. I haven't seen any since. It's hard to be patient. :)

Back
Top Bottom