When do chickens start laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Waveron, Jul 7, 2008.

1. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Hi y'all! I have 2 girls and a rooster and 7 babies! I'm waiting for my 20 week old girls to start laying! I'm a rookie at this and I don't want the eggs to get fertilized! What and how do I prevent this! I want eggs to eat! Not more chicks!!!!

2. ATMac1962

ATMac1962 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well it's been 18 weeks for me and still no eggs. I have a Gold sex-link, New Hampshire Red, Barred Rock, Brahma, Redcap, Red lace Wyandottes! I think the boss hen Ethel the gold sex-link will be the 1st to lay an egg. Her comb & waddle are getting bigger & she is soooo vocal! Seems like she's always B!TCHing [​IMG]like a pregnant woman...No offence ladies! Cannot wait![​IMG]

3. FrogEggs

FrogEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    You can eat fertilized eggs. So if you don't want chicks, just refrigerate the eggs.

4. ATMac1962

Jul 10, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    If u don't want fertile eggs, the rooster[​IMG] would have to go! When I was young we lived on a farm and ate fertile eggs all the time. As long as you collect them right away you wouldn't know the difference. As a child I remember if a receipt called for eggs, my grandmother always broke them in a separate bowl because it was not uncommon for an older egg to slip by and have a chick[​IMG] forming inside. Yuck!

5. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Oh yew! Hoping I get to them before that!

6. chicken feeder

chicken feeder New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    Chickens lay eggs about 5 to 8 months. I found that a fake egg (wooden) helps them lay right beside it. Love getting those fresh eggs for the morning..the kids love to gather them.

7. ATMac1962

Jul 10, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Got my 1st egg @ 19 weeks from my gold sex-link "Ethel".[​IMG] It's been 3 days & that's the only egg so far! [​IMG] It's true what they say, when their comb & waddle get big & red, soon will come an egg. I think 3 of my other hens will start laying any day, they're all the same age but different breeds (6 hens). I feel like a child waiting for gifts!
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. Douza

Douza Chillin' With My Peeps

My 18 week hen layed an egg yesterday. I have four hens and dont know which hen layed it. I let tgem out of the coop most days although thry were in the coop for two days. I just happened to check the nesting box. I couldnt believe it. The box was empty this morning. Is it common for hens to lay one day and not t house e next?[​IMG]

9. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Well I've only received 1 egg so far! And my girls are 21 weeks but different breeds. Patiently waiting for more!!!

10. angelfan

angelfan New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    One of our hens layed an egg the size of the dime in the one picture. Can I assume this is the first egg for the hen? We have two that have not layed yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by