When do chickens start laying eggs?

never tried cayenne pepper. use layer feed now. mine are 6 months old and started laying about five weeks ago. I think its different with each chicken because only in the last week have my easter eggers started. 8 hens, about 3-5 eggs a day. though 7 today, 8 yesterday. I assume the count is going to go up and down. I didn't put any lights or heat in my coop. in fact I left the door open all winter, they slept right in the doorway even when it was 10 degrees. they didn't like it when the door was closed.

I have cochin/aracauna mixes, 3 hens.  They are 21 weeks old. I thought they are supposed to start laying by now, but they're not.  They free range during the day and cooped at night.  The bag says poultry feed, but it doesn't specifically say layer feed. The feed store owner said that poultry feed is layer feed. Is that accurate? Has anyone found it effective to add cayenne pepper to their feed to help speed up the laying process? 

My first didn't start until 6 months, the next was 8 and 9 months, and still one not laying yet. I noticed one day while they were free ranging one had gone back on the coop. Once they started they were consistent. Not sure about the feed but I think the layer just has extra calcium for the shells, I'd worry about that if their shells were thin once they started. You can always supplement if needed. Not familiar with the cayenne either . I just waited til they we're ready.

My Wyandotte took a whole year to lay her first egg - literally on her first birthday! Most of mine started laying around 6 months. Hang in there.

I have an year and a half old chicken that has never laid an egg. Does that mean that I will never see an egg from her?
Does anyone else has this problem?

I just would like to say, my Rhode Island Red who is 31 weeks old, has finally started laying eggs. :ya  I was starting to think she was handicapped! So much for the early maturity BS!

OMG maybe there is hope. I have a hen who is reddish...dint actualky know what she is but was born last Easter and has not laid yet. Her three americauna coop mates have been laying since last august except for their winter break. I came on line today to see if ut is possible for a hen to be sterile. Im guessing it is, just don't know when to give up.

Mooseman.....Since you raise organic eggs, maybe you can tell me if this is true. I was told to truly have "organic" eggs you had to start them on Organic feed from day 1. Where I live in S Florida, organic feed is $50 a bag compared to a good un-medicated feed is $14 a bag. Not really affordable for me. Mine are free range all day and love rummaging thru the horse poop, horse feed, and abundance of bugs here. At night they return themselves to their coop. I am getting a little concerned that at 24-28 weeks I still have NO eggs!...uggg

My chickens are 16 weeks and they have started squatting, meaning they are getting ready to lay. Watch your chickens. If they squat a lot, it's time to change their feed to a layer. Make sure you put oyster shells or girt in the feed or in a bowl somewhere so the chickens can get it.

Hello,

that first egg is really great..... I have had a private cage free, organic egg business in my neighborhood for three years now...... my big sister went to college and handed me down her business.

Home grown eggs are richer, better for baking (especially chocolate chip cookies)  and the blue and green eggs from the Aracauna chicken are lower in cholesterol than the brown and white eggs.

When you crack open a well fed egg from the farm compared to the best organic, cage free from a store you can see if your hens have proper nutrition.  i.e.   our eggs are a deep dark orange yolk that sits up hard in a pan or bowl when cracked.   The white is clear and has substantial body (stiff and stands up) when cracked.  

do a side by side comparison to see the health of your hens when they start laying by investing $5 for good eggs from a natural food store.   If the shell is weak, crack egg shells (very fine) and put in food, or feed oyster shell, or let your hens out into a bigger area or around buildings for them to eat bugs (best way) as the exo skeltons of the bugs help make better shells and keep bugs from being around your barn

if the yolk is pale yellow, more protein and iron is needed.   remember, everything that was on your plate after dinner is breakfast for the chickens....they are  nature's garbage disposals.....   dark green leafy veges help with good yolks.  So the bad leafs off your spinach and lettuce from the garden or grocery store are perfect for the hens......   remember, what you may compost, most chickens eat,..,

our family does not raise white chickens simply because our experience is they get sick.  I have 24 hens, 2 plymouth rocks, 8 buff orphingtons, 5 rhode island reds, and 9 araucaunas.

we found that these are easy keepers, lay extra large or large eggs by 9 months and live and lay for about 6 years. 

I am joining this forum to expand my vocabulary, writing skills and share my four years of successful organic, cage free hen/egg business.

Thanks for corresponding.

Mooseman

Green and blue eggs do not have less cholesterol than other eggs.

Good to hear my chickens aren't the only "late bloomers"! Mine still aren't laying and they are between 24-28 weeks. Everyday I go on an egg hunt, but find nothing!!!

Back
Top Bottom