When do chickens start laying eggs?

The day has arrived!! It's been almost 6 months and I finally got my first egg today!! Unfortunately it was cracked and wasn't in the nesting box but on the coop floor. It was a large brown egg which is a shame. Questions. Do they lay around the same time everyday and do they know to go to the nesting box. I'm worried they could lay in the shrubs when free ranging and I wouldn't even know. Also, how do you teach them to use the box if they don't catch on? I have straw in them with a golf ball as a fake egg. Thanks!

!

:/

I have 14 hens - orpington, cochins, austrolorp, partridge rock, welsummer,Sussex and barnvelder - I live in Northeast ohio - they have a hen house and 16' by 16' run. The first signs are the submissive squat and very red combs and wattles. I was patient - bought my hens from Meyer Hatchery. Once the first hen layed an egg (in the hen box) all the others followed - we are now getting an average of 12 eggs per day. It took them 6 months to lay and the cold winters up here doesn't stop them. We don't use any heat and their very healthy - my advise look for a aforementioned signs and be patient the eggs will come.

I'm beginning to worry about my 2 EE Bantams. The Sussex and Red Star laid at 6 months. They are all 8 months old now and even with daylight savings, the big girls lay almost everyday. The bantams-nothing. I've looked around the yard for eggs just in case the big girls were not allowing the littles in the nesting area but haven't seen anything. Since Easter Eggers don't really get the large comb and wattles I can't use that but their faces have turned red. They are also skittish and fast as lightning so I can't get my hand near them to test for the squat like I did the big girls. I believe the squat is the biggest indicator. Oh the dang bantams.

I'm beginning to worry about my 2 EE Bantams. The Sussex and Red Star laid at 6 months. They are all 8 months old now and even with daylight savings, the big girls lay almost everyday. The bantams-nothing. I've looked around the yard for eggs just in case the big girls were not allowing the littles in the nesting area but haven't seen anything. Since Easter Eggers don't really get the large comb and wattles I can't use that but their faces have turned red. They are also skittish and fast as lightning so I can't get my hand near them to test for the squat like I did the big girls. I believe the squat is the biggest indicator. Oh the dang bantams.
Some bantams aren't great egg layers, or may more mature more slowly.

If you free range them, start looking in bushes or leaves because they may be laying the eggs and hiding them from you. My three hens did this to me once and my brother ended up finding a nice sized clutch in a tossed up little hay nest, and that was in the coop.

Also, if they're super fast, I recommend a poultry net to catch em'. It comes in handy quite a bit lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. They do free range several hours each day so I check the yard from time to time for eggs. I didn't know they made poultry nets. Brilliant! They are so dang fast I can't even manage to catch them with a towel. I'm convinced they have eyes in the back of their head. I haven't held them since they moved from the brooder to the coop. Sad and frustrating.

Thanks for the tips. They do free range several hours each day so I check the yard from time to time for eggs. I didn't know they made poultry nets. Brilliant! They are so dang fast I can't even manage to catch them with a towel. I'm convinced they have eyes in the back of their head. I haven't held them since they moved from the brooder to the coop. Sad and frustrating.
Oh yes the nets are some of the best things ever! My leghorns and barnyard mix are always too fast for me to catch so I either have to herd them like goats with a stick or catch em' with a net. Same with my cornish bantams. I bet if you held them enough though like everyday or so for a few minutes they would calm down a lot more.

I have six week Buff Orps and I am so excited about them laying!!! Here are some shots: And you can be sure I'm super impatient about it. I have twenty four and I'm going to be selling. Sooooo Excited!!!!

I have been lurking on this thread for a while. Learning about what to look out for when chickens are about to lay. I have 4 and they are now 19 and 20 weeks old. I am so excited I can hardly wait. They aren't squatting yet but the speckled sussex and the Barnevelder have combs and wattles turning red and noticeably larger.

I am a very busy person but I keep thinking about the joys of collecting my own eggs.

They are not interested in the nest boxes at all, I have staw and fake eggs in there but they don't show any interest. Will they become interested when they are getting ready?

How do you not go crazy with the wait!!
fl.gif
old.gif

I have three Polish hens and I just had one of mine lay their first egg. She is 4 months + 10 days old. So, I guess I am quite lucky. I didn't know what people meant by "squatting" but I did not her lifting up her wings slightly as I petted her recently. She was also a bit more squawky. I have one other that is somewhat smaller than the other two. I can't wait to see what her egg sizes will be.

Back
Top Bottom