When do chickens start laying eggs?

Hi there (Ithis is my first time on!) my white leghorn mango laid her first egg yesterday at 1.30 pm (am soooo proud of her!) but there was no egg today. Should she lay daily now or does it take awhile?

It takes awhile for them to find a rhythm. After they find it they lay approximately every 26 hours but I have one that lays closer to 27-28 hours. She'll skip a day if her laying time falls at night once she's roosted for the night. Pretty nifty!

I got my chickens March 11, 2012 at my local Orscheln store and they started laying at 19 weeks. I have 2 Barred Rocks, 4 Production Reds, and 1 Rhode Island Red. I get from 5 to 7 eggs a day . They laid 185 eggs for the month of September . They seem to be laying machines I very proud of them.

My chicks are 4 week old Platinum sussex and Corination sussex and I was wondering when they will start laying eggs?

Do you know?

please reply!

Thanks
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
The average age for chickens to start laying is 26 weeks. Some start as early as 16 weeks and some take as long as 35 weeks. Every breed and chicken is different. Just be patient, feed good nutritious food, give free choice calcium, and wait it out. Good luck!

Hello,

that first egg is really great..... I have had a private cage free, organic egg business in my neighborhood for three years now...... my big sister went to college and handed me down her business.

Home grown eggs are richer, better for baking (especially chocolate chip cookies) and the blue and green eggs from the Aracauna chicken are lower in cholesterol than the brown and white eggs.

When you crack open a well fed egg from the farm compared to the best organic, cage free from a store you can see if your hens have proper nutrition. i.e. our eggs are a deep dark orange yolk that sits up hard in a pan or bowl when cracked. The white is clear and has substantial body (stiff and stands up) when cracked.

do a side by side comparison to see the health of your hens when they start laying by investing $5 for good eggs from a natural food store. If the shell is weak, crack egg shells (very fine) and put in food, or feed oyster shell, or let your hens out into a bigger area or around buildings for them to eat bugs (best way) as the exo skeltons of the bugs help make better shells and keep bugs from being around your barn

if the yolk is pale yellow, more protein and iron is needed. remember, everything that was on your plate after dinner is breakfast for the chickens....they are nature's garbage disposals..... dark green leafy veges help with good yolks. So the bad leafs off your spinach and lettuce from the garden or grocery store are perfect for the hens...... remember, what you may compost, most chickens eat,..,

our family does not raise white chickens simply because our experience is they get sick. I have 24 hens, 2 plymouth rocks, 8 buff orphingtons, 5 rhode island reds, and 9 araucaunas.

we found that these are easy keepers, lay extra large or large eggs by 9 months and live and lay for about 6 years.

I am joining this forum to expand my vocabulary, writing skills and share my four years of successful organic, cage free hen/egg business.

Thanks for corresponding.

Mooseman

Last edited by a moderator:
just a question i have a hen which has gone clucky she is in with a rooster and has been sitting on her eggs, to make them hatch do i just let her go and check them after 14 days or wait for her to have a full clutch 1st . this is a 1st for me and am a little confuzed ? she is also in with other chickens and they all lay in the same box how do i tell them apart ? Som 1 help plz

Back
Top Bottom