When do chickens start laying?

janis1127

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2016
My chickens are around 6 months old. When should they start laying and what feed should I give them.

They start laying at 20-28 weeks, so yours should start laying soon. You should be feeding them layer feed, which is usually labeled so and has 16% protein.

A couple of mine started early at 14. Many start at 16-20. Others start at 20-28. A lot of it has to do with breeds.

I would disagree with countrygirl on the feed. If they still aren't laying they could use the extra protein (20%) found in a grower or all flock. That said, be sure to offer additional calcium (in the form of crushed oyster shell, available at the feed store) as your hens may need it if they're getting close.

The extra calcium in a layer feed (~3%) is great for laying hens but can be harmful to hens who aren't yet laying.

Watch for the "squat". When they're doing it, you've got about a week to wait.

If you have non production breeds 22 - 26 weeks is not unusual. another thing to remember is really hot weather can also postpone the start of lay.

I live in Texas so we are having an issue with nearly triple digit temperatures. Thank you all for your advice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom