When do chicks start to roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kychickens, May 12, 2009.

1. kychickens

kychickens New Egg

May 6, 2009
    I new at this so it may be a dumb question. My chicks are 5-6 weeks old and i put them in there new coop 3 days ago and they just sit on the floor of the coop instead of roosting. Wondered if something was wrong or just come with age?

2. kbadkins

kbadkins Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    yeah give them some time... they will get there.. there is definitely nothing wrong with them.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

They will roost soon, mine are 7 weeks old and have been roosting for about 2 weeks now.

4. kychickens

kychickens New Egg

May 6, 2009
    Thanks...thats what i thought but just wasnt sure. They also wont go outside, act like they are scared. Have to be patient i guess.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    The are very cute fuzzy babies![​IMG]
    SOON they will roost....SOON they will love it outside![​IMG]

7. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

I am also new to this but I believe it depends on the chicks. The first few I got I had to keep in a small cage until I had a coop build; they just laid around like you are talking about after I put them in the coop for a couple of weeks then started roosting. The next group I got I put a small stick in the cage on about the third day and some of them began roosting at a very early age and always have.

8. rhondapiper

rhondapiper Chillin' With My Peeps

A few of mine are roosting already at ten days old.

It took them a few days to stop pecking the roost and start sitting on it, and only 2 of 7 seem to have really figured it out- the rest give it a shot, but their balance is bad and they fall off and look affronted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by