When do cockerels start crowing??

Krazzy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Indiana
i think it may depend on breed, but my wyandottes dont start crowing till they are 4-5 months old.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
When they are darn good and ready to crow!! lol

It's all an individual, and environmental thing depending on others roosters around, not a breed thing.

My Welsummer roo just started to try crowing a couple weeks ago at about 10 weeks old.....I have an adult rooster in an adjacent coop/run....but the other jr roos haven't tried, maybe because they are a week younger or because they are submissive to the Wellie roo......Woody is boss roo in the jr coop.

I've heard of roosters crowing at 2 weeks old.....my previous jr roo didn't start until he was about 5-6 months old.

Mountain Peeps

Jesus is my life
Premium member
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
When they are darn good and ready to crow!! lol

It's all an individual, and environmental thing depending on others roosters around, not a breed thing.

My Welsummer roo just started to try crowing a couple weeks ago at about 10 weeks old.....I have an adult rooster in an adjacent coop/run....but the other jr roos haven't tried, maybe because they are a week younger or because they are submissive to the Wellie roo......Woody is boss roo in the jr coop.

I've heard of roosters crowing at 2 weeks old.....my previous jr roo didn't start until he was about 5-6 months old.
Thank you! I have a 10 week old SS that I'm hoping is a hen!!

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Australia
Bringing this thread back.

Anyway, my two girls Mackenzie and Keisha are actually Kenny and Mac! They're seventeen weeks and only just started crowing. Late bloomers I guess.

Good luck,
Rachel.

Top Bottom